Updated: 02/27/2020

How a Charleston Divorce Attorney Can Assist You

  If you are ready to file for divorce, you probably have many questions that you would like answered. How long the divorce is going to take, how much it is going to cost, and what spousal support and child custody arrangements will look like are common worries when it comes to heading into a divorce. However, you should first ask your divorce attorney how to file papers in West Virginia.  

West Virginia Divorce Law

West Virginia family law differs from other states, as there are different rules and requirements in place for each state in the U.S. It is also necessary to note that the procedure is going to differ from case to case. Each case is as unique as the person, so it is essential to obtain a divorce attorney who understands your situation. You may need a family law attorney for a complicated child custody case, or maybe you and your soon-to-be-ex want to continue with the divorce without contest. If you are filing for spousal support or you need to ensure that your assets and debts obtained before and during the marriage go to the appropriate party, an experienced lawyer can walk you through the entire process.   With the assistance of your Charleston divorce attorney, you need to ensure that all of your documentation is in order. Your attorney will help you to figure out what paperwork is required and how you can obtain it.    In West Virginia, you are going to need a visual statistics form, a financial statement, a case information statement, a petition for divorce, and other possible paperwork. If you have kids, you will need to get a form for child support income withholding, as well as a parent education registration form. You can download these documents from the West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals website or visit the Circuit Clerk’s office.     As West Virginia is a no-fault divorce state, your only options for the cause of separation are a one-year separation or for irreconcilable differences. You must show proof that you and your spouse were married in the state of West Virginia, as well as if either you still live in the state. Additionally, you must be a resident of West Virginia for a minimum of one year.   

Divorce Questions 

Before submitting your paperwork, now is an excellent opportunity for you to hire an attorney who can navigate the process of divorce1 with you and ensure that all documentation is handled correctly. Additionally, your lawyer can navigate you through the entire process by guiding your next steps. Asking questions will allow you to see how your lawyer plans on handling your case and help you better prepare for your court date. If you have any concerns in regards to safety, finances, or other conflicts that may arise, now is the time to tell your lawyer as well.   

Contact Bradford Law Offices 

Tim Bradford is a divorce attorney with years of experience in divorce and family law cases. He will fight for you and your children, and ensure that you get what you deserve. Contact Bradford Law Offices, PLLC today to set up a consultation. Filing for Divorce in West Virginia: Where to Start - Family Law Blog